Thursday, May 19, 2016

Day 2 Nice Weather, Nice People

Be Safe Coin 

Brooks



The weather is beautiful. I got lost again today so I figured I better start using the maps. I stayed the night behind a fire station in Mineral, VA.  I camped in the grass by a pavilion.  No shower. Three nice locals came up to me. Bicycle Bill Alewine (like alcohol) was the first. He was retired Pentagon Army. He had the same bike I had.  He got it for Christmas. He said out of college, he and a few friends went to SEATAC Airport, unpacked their bikes and rode all across America. As our conversation ended, he said "I got something for you" and reached in his pocket. I knew what he was doing.  I said "do you have a coin?" I didn't. No worry. He handed me a mint never touched bicentennial (1776-1976) gold looking quarter in a hard plastic protection. He wished me safe travels. Another local pulled up in the grass with his Chevrolet 1500 pick-up. I thought I was in trouble. He was Brooks Besley. I said "how are you?" He said "no good".  I thought "oh-oh" but he was actually very nice.  He gave me a pencil, wished me luck, and safe travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment